Broccolini® in Three Tastes of Victoria
- 2 Broccolini®, blanched and refreshed
- 1tsp lemon juice
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1 lime, segmented
- 1/2 cup mashed potato
- 800 grams rainbow trout, filleted and boned
- 16 blue mussels
- 100 ml whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tsp balsamic reduction
- 3 pitted green olives, sliced
- 12 black olives, seeded
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp Salt and pepper, to taste
- Using a sharp knife, slice 4 paper thin slices from a trout fillet. Individually wrap around 4 whole stalks Broccolini® and season well. Refrigerate.
- Combine mayonnaise and balsamic reduction. Refrigerate.
- Place pearl barley in a saucepan with salted water and bring to the boil. Cook for 15 minutes until tender. Drain.
- Slice remaining Broccolini® stems (not florets) and add to barley. Add black olives and lemon juice and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut 1 trout fillet into 4 equal pieces. Season well and refrigerate.
- Steam 8 mussels for 2 minutes until open. Cool, remove from shells and dice finely.
- Place mashed potato in a bowl and add milk, diced mussels, egg, remaining trout (finely diced), half of the remaining Broccolini® florets (finely chopped), and mix well. Shape into 4 cakes.
- Place potato cakes on a baking sheet and bake at 180°C for 8 minutes until cooked through. Add trout-wrapped Broccolini®, seasoned pieces of trout and remaining 8 mussels to the tray for the final 2 minutes.
- To plate, place trout-wrapped Broccolini on plates with green olives and balsamic mayonnaise.
- Place 4 x 12cm cookie cutters on four plates and divide barley mix between them. Push down firmly with the back of a spoon. Remove cutter and place baked trout on top of barley. Top with citrus segments and Broccolini tips.
- Place the remaining uncut Broccolini florets on plates, top with potato cakes and garnish with mussels in shell.