Corn Fritters with Roasted Truss Tomatoes and Crispy Prosciutto
|4 (makes 16-20 fritters)
|1 hour 20 MINS
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 5 tsp olive oil
- according to taste Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 185 grams good quality mayonnaise
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 8 thin slices prosciutto or bacon
- 2 corn cobs, 420g can corn kernels, drained
- 220 grams self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 375 ml buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Arrange the tomatoes in a single layer on a baking tray. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 1 hour 20 minutes until softened, but still just holding their shape. Combine the mayonnaise with the garlic and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, make the fritters. Slice the kernels off the corn cobs. Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the egg and buttermilk together in a jug, pour onto the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in the corn and season well with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Spoon the mixture one tbsp at a time into the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on one side.
- Turn over and cook until golden. Keep warm while you cook the rest, adding more oil as required.
- In a separate frying pan, fry the prosciutto in 1 tbsp of oil until crispy.
- Serve the fritters accompanied by the roasted tomatoes, prosciutto and garlic mayonnaise.