Schnitzel with Ratatouille
- 1 Eggplant, cubed
- 1 red onion, halved and thickly sliced
- 2 small green zucchini, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 4 Heart Smart veal schnitzels, (or 8 if you prefer more meat)
- 4 tbsp tapenade
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 400 grams can peeled tomatoes
- 1 Small handful basil leaves, torn
- 50 grams Small handful flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, roughly chopped
- Brush the schnitzel with the tapenade and set aside while making the ratatouille.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Add the eggplant and fry for 5-7 minutes, until golden. Remove and drain on paper towel in a large bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium, add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and fry the onion and capsicum for about 5 minutes. Add to the eggplant. Repeat with the zucchini, frying until golden.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the tomatoes and basil and season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently, covered for 10-15 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Fry the schnitzel for about 1 minute on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Just before serving, stir the garlic and parsley into the ratatouille and serve the schnitzels on a bed of the ratatouille.