Soup of Winter Lettuce with White Beans and Prosciutto
- 3 Treviso™ radicchio lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 baby endive, roughly chopped
- 3 witlof, roughly chopped
- 1 large beetroot peeled and chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 ham hock
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 150 grams prosciutto, finely diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin cannellini beans, drained and washed
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- Bring ham hock to the boil in 5 litres of water. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Remove hock and stand to cool and strain and reserve stock. Remove meat from the bone and dice.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and fry prosciutto till crisp.
- Add lettuces, beetroot, tomato paste and 3 litres of reserved stock. Simmer for 30 minutes until beetroot is tender, then add meat and beans. Cook for a further 5 minutes until meat and beans are warmed through. Stir through dill.
- Serve with crusty sour dough or ciabatta.