Tuscan Kale (Cavolo Nero) Almond Colcannon Cakes and Nero’s Coleslaw
- 1 cup Shallots, finely choppd
- 1/2 Tuscan kale(cavolo nero), trimmed
- 300 grams cooked mashed potato
- 1 tbsp continental parsley, chopped
- 150 ml milk
- 12 scallops
- 50 ml Vegetable oil for sautéeing and shallow frying
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup flaked almonds
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, whipped with 1/2 cup milk
- to taste Salt and pepper
- Set aside eight Tuscan kale (cavolo nero) leaves and finely slice the rest.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté sliced leaves. Add to potato with shallots, milk and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stand to cool.
- In a bowl whisk together eggs and milk. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs and almonds.
- Using a 5cm ring cutter, form colcannon mix into 12 small rounds. Remove rings and dust in flour. Dip in egg mix, then breadcrumbs and almonds. Refrigerate.
- For coleslaw, blanch Tuscan cabbage (cavolo nero) in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Refresh, drain well and place in a bowl. Add carrot, parsley, tomato, mayonnaise and lemon juice and mix well. Place 3 tbsp on each plate.
- Heat oil in a pan till hot and shallow fry colcannon till golden, turning as necessary. Drain on absorbent paper and season well. Place 3 per serve on top of coleslaw.
- Meanwhile, sauté scallops in a non-stick pan over very high heat until just cooked through. Divide between plates.
- Heat 1 tbsp in pan and sauté reserved whole leaves for garnish.