Winter Lettuce and Red Wine Risotto Arancini
Please the crowd with these delicious gourmet vegetarian rice balls.
Prep Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes plus 2 hours’ chilling.
- 2 witlof, shredded
- 1 Treviso™ radicchio, shredded
- 1 baby endive, sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp onion, diced
- 700ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 125ml dry red wine
- 50ml port
- 100g butter
- 100g parmesan, finely grated
- 50g blue cheese, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 100ml milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Selection of winter lettuce leaves, sliced to serve
- Heat stock till boiling.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy based pot and add onion, garlic and rice. Cook until rice is lightly browned.
- Add lettuces, wine and port and simmer until wine has evaporated.
- Slowly add hot stock one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Do not add more until liquid has been absorbed. Cook until rice is creamy, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add parmesan, blue cheese and butter. Stir well and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Stand to cool then roll risotto into 1.5cm diameter balls.
- Whisk eggs and milk together.
- Dust with flour, dip in egg mix and coat with breadcrumbs. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Deep fry until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain well and season.
- Serve arancini on a bed of mixed winter lettuce leaves.