Confit heirloom tomatoes
- 18 (about 1.5 kg) heirloom tomatoes
- 8 garlic cloves, halved
- 8 sprig thyme
- 2 litres extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven at 120°C. Wash and dry the tomatoes. Arrange tomatoes in a baking dish so they fit in a single layer. Top with garlic and thyme and season. Pour enough olive oil over to completely cover the tomatoes. Allow to cook slowly for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the oil.
- Once cool, carefully spoon the tomatoes into a tray to serve.
- Spread chargrilled flatbread with smashed avocado, ricotta. Top with confit tomato and coriander. Serve with chilli yoghurt.
- Spread toasted sour dough with soft marinated feta. Top with rocket and confit tomatoes.
- Toss smashed confit tomato with freshly cooked pasta, crisp pancetta and plenty chopped fresh herbs.
Note: The oil can and should be re-used for dressings, marinades and cooking. As it contains juices from the tomatoes, pour into a clean jar and keep in the fridge (it will go cloudy but will become clear again at room temperature). Use within 3 months.