MARINATED MIX-A-MATO™ TOMATO GREEK PIES
- 200g Mix-a-mato™, halved
- 1 large bunch (10 large leaves) silverbeet, washed, dried
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 3 sheets ready rolled shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 6 tsp sesame seeds
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 300g piece fresh ricotta, broken into chunks
- 150g feta, coarsely crumbled
- Lemon wedges , to serve
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives, pitted, chopped
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 200g Mix-a-mato™, thickly sliced
- Shred the silverbeet leaves, you should have 150g. Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes until soft. Add garlic and tomatoes, cook stirring often for 8 minutes until thickened. Add silverbeet and cook for 1 minute or until it begins to wilt. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut 2 x 14cm rounds from each of the pastry sheets. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds over each round and gently press into the pastry with a rolling pin. Use to line six 7.5cm base (12cm top) pie tins. Trim any excess. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Move oven shelf to bottom of the oven. Preheat oven and large flat baking tray to 200°C fan forced.
- Add eggs, ricotta and feta to the silverbeet, mix well and season. Spoon into pastry cases. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the centre is firm to touch. Stand for 10 minutes before removing from tins.
- For the marinated Mix-a-Mato™ tomatoes; combine the tomatoes, olives and olive oil in a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside. Just before serving, stir through the parsley. Spoon oven the warm pies and serve with lemon.
Tip: You can make 1 big pie, use a 23cm fluted quiche tin or 22cm (base) springform pan.
Tip: For entertaining, cut pastry into small rounds and use to line patty pans. Fill and bake for about 15 minutes until set. Top each with slices fresh Mix-a-Mato™ tomatoes.