- 5 medium Truss Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 medium Fennel, trimmed, very thinly sliced
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 60ml red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 small red onion
- 2 medium red capsicums
- 1/2 loaf day old white sourdough
- 2 small Lebanese cucumbers
- 1/3 cup black olives
- 2 tbs capers
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- Whisk 80ml (1/3 cup) of the oil, 2 tablespoons vinegar, garlic and sugar together in a large bowl until well combined. Season. Add fennel and onion, stir to coat. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat a non-stick frying o barbecue grill on medium-high. Brush the capsicum with a little of the remaining oil and cook skin side down for 10 minutes or until soft and the skins start to blacken. Remove to a board. Tear the bread into bite-sized pieces and drizzle with the remaining oil. Add to the pan, toss until edges become a little golden. Remove from heat.
- Coarsely chop the capsicum, add to the fennel. Add cucumber, tomatoes, olives, capers, basil leaves and bread. Toss gently to combine. Season and serve.
Tip- Panzanella is delicious serve with grilled pork chops.
Tip-This recipe is best served as a side.