Broccolini® Tempura with Chimichurri sauce
|10 plus 2-3 hours’ chilling time MINS
- 2 Broccolini®, bunches Whole
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 600 ml soda water, chilled
- 2000 ml vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 shallots
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 100 ml either peanut or sunflower oil
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- For sauce, place all ingredients in a blender and mix well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Sift flours into a large bowl and stir through baking powder.
- Add eggs and soda water, mix lightly. Some lumps are okay but it is important to keep batter cold.
- Heat oil till hot, about 190°C.
- Dip vegetables into batter, drain well then sprinkle with flaked almonds. Carefully lower into oil. Fry a few pieces at a time till golden and crisp, approximately 60 seconds each piece, taking care not to let pieces touch each other. Remove and drain on absorbent paper. Oil can be strained and reused.
- Serve tempura with chimichurri sauce.