Chicken Risotto with Tuscan Kale (cavolo nero)
- 200 grams Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Tuscan kale (cavolo nero), shredded
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 20 grams butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600 grams diced chicken
- 400 grams arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper,, freshly ground
- 60 grams butter, extra
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- Place stock into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and gently simmer.
- In a separate pan, heat butter and olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and mushrooms and cook for 6 minutes until golden brown.
- Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
- Add leek and garlic to pan reduce heat and cook gently for about 10 minutes without colouring.
- Add rice and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in wine and cook until nearly all of it has been absorbed.
- Add 1/2 cup of warm stock. Reduce heat to simmering and continue stirring until all liquid has been absorbed. Continue to add stock 1/2 cup at a time allowing it to be absorbed before adding more. This will take around 20 minutes.
- Return chicken and mushrooms to pan with Tuscan kale (cavolo nero).
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add extra butter, parmesan and walnuts. Stir well. Cover with lid and stand for a few minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and serve.