Middle Eastern Eggplant, Grape Kumato® & Pine Nut Salad
- 400g Grape Kumato® Tomatoes, whole
- 1kg Eggplant, cut into 1cm-thick slices
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup verjuice
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Using 60ml of the oil, brush both sides of the eggplant slices and season well with salt and plenty of pepper. Heat a large heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the eggplant in batches for 3-5 minutes each side or until tender and golden. Transfer to a flat serving platter.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining oil to the pan, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring 5 minutes until soft. Add the cumin and paprika, cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the verjuice and bring to the boil.
- Add Kumatoes®, cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes or until all Kumatoes® start to collapse, remove from the heat Spoon over the warm eggplant, season with salt and pepper. Scatter over the pine nuts and parsley and serve.