Roasted Baby Brussels Sprouts with Melted Cheese
- 800 grams Baby Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 cup Melted butter,, to grease
- 2 cup milk
- 60 grams butter
- 40 grams plain flour
- 100 grams Mainland coarsely grated mozzarella
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush the base and halfway up the sides of a 1.5L (6-cup) capacity baking dish with butter to lightly grease.
- Cook baby Brussels sprouts in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Drain. Transfer to the prepared dish.
- Place the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture bubbles and begins to come away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat. Gradually add half the milk, whisking constantly with a balloon whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in the remaining milk. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring to the boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Stir in the mozzarella.
- Season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Pour the sauce over the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.