Winter Lettuce and Red Wine Risotto Arancini
- 2 witlof, shredded
- 1 Treviso™ radicchio, shredded
- 1 baby endive, sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp onion, diced
- 700 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 125 ml dry red wine
- 50 ml port
- 100 grams butter
- 100 grams parmesan, finely grated
- 50 grams blue cheese, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 100 ml milk
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- to taste Salt and white pepper
- for deep frying Vegetable oil
- sliced to serve Selection of winter lettuce leaves
- Heat stock till boiling.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy based pot and add onion, garlic and rice. Cook until rice is lightly browned.
- Add lettuces, wine and port and simmer until wine has evaporated.
- Slowly add hot stock one ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Do not add more until liquid has been absorbed. Cook until rice is creamy, about 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add parmesan, blue cheese and butter. Stir well and season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- Stand to cool then roll risotto into 1.5cm diameter balls.
- Whisk eggs and milk together.
- Dust with flour, dip in egg mix and coat with breadcrumbs. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Deep fry until golden, about 3 minutes. Drain well and season.
- Serve arancini on a bed of mixed winter lettuce leaves.