Confit Sweet Solanato® tomatoes
- 3 x 200g Sweet Solanato® Tomatoes, washed, dried
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, sliced
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 500ml extra virgin olive oil
- 500g halloumi
- red wine vinegar, to serve
- fresh thyme, to serve
- toasted baguette slices, to serve
- Preheat the oven at 120°C, fan forced. Place the tomatoes in a baking dish so they all sit snuggly in a single layer. Garnish with garlic, thyme, seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour over enough olive oil to completely cover the tomatoes. Cook slowly for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the oil.
- Once cool carefully spoon into clean sterilized jars, adding enough oil to cover the tomatoes. Secure the lids and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
- Cut halloumi into 1cm-thick slices. Brush both sides with some of the cooking oil. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until hot. Cook halloumi, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Roughly chop.
- To serve, allow the tomatoes to settle to room temperature (oil should return to clear). Divide the halloumi on base of 12 small bowls. Top with 3-4 confit tomatoes. Drizzle with a little vinegar and sprinkle with fresh thyme. Serve with baguette.
- Spread toasted sour dough bread with feta and top with smashed confit tomatoes.
- Toss freshly cooked spaghetti with confit tomatoes, grated parmesan and lots fresh basil.
- Brush pizza bases with a little oil, top with confit tomatoes, grated mozzarella and parmesan. Cook then scatter with fresh basil to serve.
- Toss confit tomatoes with shredded rocket, toasted walnuts and chunky soft blue cheese for a quick and easy salad.
Did you know- These delightful confit tomatoes are bursting with flavor and once prepared, can be enjoyed for months to come. Simply spoon into clean sterilized jars, cover with oil, secure the lids and store in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Tip- The oil can and should be re-used for dressings, marinades and cooking. As it contains juices from the tomatoes, pour into a clean jar and keep in the fridge to be used within 3 months.