MASSAMAN BEEF AND BROCCOLINI® PIE MAKER PIES
|16 small pies
- 1 Broccolini®, family bunch, washed
- 400g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 tbs vegetable or olive oil
- 600g beef mince
- 5 tbs massaman curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 shortcrust pastry sheets, partially thawed
- 4 puff pastry sheets, partially thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- yoghurt & chilli sauce, to serve
- Cut Broccolini® into four crossways. Place sweet potato onto a microwave safe plate in a single layer and cover with damp paper towel. Microwave on High/100% for 4-5 minutes until almost tender.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mince and cook stirring with a wooden spoon to break up mince, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add curry paste and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes. Add coconut milk and sweet potato, bring to simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in Broccolini®. Refrigerate to cool.
- Use the pie maker pastry cutter to cut 16 large rounds from shortcrust sheets and 16 small rounds from puff pastry sheets. Lightly grease the pie maker and press 4 shortcrust rounds into the pie holes. Fill with about 1/2 cup massaman mixture and top with the 4 small rounds. Cut a cross in the centre of each and brush the tops with egg. Turn on the pie maker, close and cook for 8-10 minutes or until pies are golden.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Serve with yoghurt and chilli sauce.
Tip: This mixture will make 8 regular pie tin pies. Place an oven tray into the oven and preheat to 200°C fan forced. Line eight (12cm top, 71/2cm base) pie tins with shortcrust pastry. Trim excess. Fill with massaman mixture. Top with puff pastry. Trim excess. Press edges together with a fork to seal. Cut a small cross in pie tops. Brush with egg and season. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Serve.
Tip: You can freeze the pies after they are cooked. Allow to thaw before heating.