POM Wonderful and Roasted Pear Trifle
|12 1/2 cup|
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 Bosc pears
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 dozen ladyfingers or slices of soft yellow cake
- 1/4 cup vermouth
- 3 tbsp orange liqueur
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- Whisk together egg yolks and 1/2 cup milk.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar, flour and vanilla, and whisk until sugar dissolves.
- Heat 1 1/2 cups of milk and whisk slowly into egg yolk and sugar mixture.
- Return the mixture to saucepan and continue cooking until it thickens. Stir constantly, cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to cool.
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.*
- In a medium size bowl, mix together 2/3⅔ cup sugar and cornstarch.
- Add pomegranate juice and orange liqueur.
- Pour mixture into a saucepan and bring to a boil, then turn heat to low and cook until thickened.
- Stir in vanilla and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F/205°C and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Pour vegetable oil on baking sheet.
- Peel and chop pears. Toss with lemon juice and spread evenly on the baking sheet.
- Mix to combine pears with oil.
- Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes.
- Score 1-2 fresh pomegranates and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranates under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top.
- Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl.
- Reserve 1 cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
- On a baking sheet, spread ladyfingers or cake in a single layer.
- Combine vermouth and orange liqueur and brush over ladyfingers or cake.
- In a large serving bowl, alternate layers of ladyfingers, pomegranate sauce, pears, 1/4 cup arils, and pastry cream.
- Repeat layers, ending with a layer of pastry cream. Garnish with whipped cream and arils.