PURPLE VELVET CUPCAKES
- 125g Perfection Blackberries
- ½-1 tsp purple Americolor food gel (see tip)
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 125g butter
- ⅔ cup (160g) caster sugar
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 11/2 cups (225g) self raising flour
- 100ml buttermilk
- 500g cream cheese
- 100g butter
- 2 cups (300g) icing sugar mixture
- 2-4 drops purple food gel
- Preheat oven 180°C fan forced. Line 12 muffin holes with paper cases.
- Set 12 small Blackberries aside. Crush the remaining blackberries on a plate with a fork. Combine the food colour and vinegar in a small bowl, stir until smooth.
- Cream the butter and sugar with hand beaters until light and creamy. Add purple vinegar mixture, beat until well combined. Add cocoa, beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating well. Stir in half the flour then half the buttermilk. Repeat with remaining flour and buttermilk. Fold in the crushed blackberries. Divide between 12 paper cases (about 1/4 cup per cake).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked when a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat cream cheese and butter with a hand mixer until combined. Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until smooth. Add purple colour, beat until evenly distributed.
- Pipe onto cakes using a 13mm star nozzle. Top with reserved blackberries. Serve.
Tips: Americolor food gel is widely available at kitchenware stores and online. Alternately you can mix 1 tsp pillar box red food colour and 1 tsp blue food colour (both available from supermarket) to get purple.