Red Curried Truss Tomato Soup
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 60 grams brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1.5 ltr vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp mild red chilli flakes
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml water
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds. Peel, reserving the skins, then cut tomatoes in half.
- Squeeze pulp and seeds from tomato halves over a bowl so just the flesh remains. Reserve all.
- Heat oil in a saucepan until hot then add tomato flesh, onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, tomato paste, cumin, curry powder, chilli flakes, salt, pepper and stock. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Strain and discard any solids.
- In a saucepan bring reserved tomato skin, seeds and pulp to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and discard solids.
- Return liquid to the saucepan and add balsamic. Reduce until syrupy.
- Serve soup hot or chilled, drizzled with tomato and balsamic syrup.