SALT AND PEPPER SQUID WITH BROCCOLINI®, QUKES®, SNOW PEA AND HERB SALAD
|6 as a starter
- 750g squid tubes, cleaned
- 1 cup cornflour
- 1 tbs sea salt flakes, crushed
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- peanut or light olive oil, for cooking
- to serve lime wedges
- 2 bunches Broccolini®,
- 6 Qukes® baby cucumbers, sliced into thin rounds
- 200g snow peas, topped
- 1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce,
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 2 tbs mirin,
- 1 1/2 cups herbs, (like coriander, mint, Vietnamese mint, Thai basil)
- Cut the squid tubes lengthways down one side. Place flat, inside up, on a board. Score each squid in a diagonal pattern, taking care not to cut all the way through. Cut the tubes into 3-4cm pieces. Dry with paper towel.
- To make the salad; bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the Broccolini® and cook for 1 minute, add the snow peas and cook both for a further 1 minute until bright green and just tender. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well and pat dry with paper towel. Slice the Broccolini® in half lengthways if needed and slice snow peas. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine the sweet chilli, lime juice and mirin, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok to 180°C over medium-high heat.
- Combine the corn flour, salt, pepper and lemon pepper in a snap lock bag. Add the squid to the egg white and mix well. Remove one-quarter then add to the flour mixture, shake to coat, shaking off any excess. Cook, turning occasionally for 1 minute or until light golden. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining squid in three batches.
- Arrange the Broccolini® in the centre of a large board or platter. Combine snow peas, Qukes® and herbs and scatter over the Broccolini®. Spoon over a little sweet chilli dressing. Top with squid and serve with remaining dressing.