Sweet Solanato™ Chilli tomato jam
|Makes 3 Cups
- 4 x 200g Sweet Solanato® Tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 small red onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes, crushed
- Combine tomatoes and sugar in a glass or ceramic bowl. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
- Place onion, chilli and garlic in a food processor and finely chop. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, chilli and garlic to the saucepan and allow to cook, stirring often until soft but not coloured. (roughly 5 minutes).
- Add the tomato mixture, vinegar, lime juice and salt. Increase heat to high, bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, for 30-35 minutes or until jam thickens. Spoon hot jam into hot sterilized jars. Seal. Store in the fridge. Once opened, the jam will edible for 4 weeks.
- Replace butter with the chilli tomato jam for sandwiches, rolls and toasties.
- Use as a marinade for chicken. Thin the jam down with a little olive oil and water if need be.
- Turn into a dipping sauce by adding fish sauce and fresh lime or lemon juice.
- Add spoonful’s to casseroles and soups just before serving