VEGAN SUMMER GALETTE WITH CALYPSO® MANGO
- 1 Calypso® Mangoes
- 125g Perfection Raspberries
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup + 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
CALYPSO® MANGO FILLING
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Ensure cold ingredients are used in the making of the pastry. Prepare the butter by ensuring you have ice-cold water on hand.
- Add flour, sugar and salt to a food processor and pulse to combine. Add butter. Pulse until small crumbs form then, with the food processor running, stream in the water and process only until a large ball forms. From when you add the butter to when the balls come together it should take only 15 seconds or so.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape out dough and quickly form into a small disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and set in the fridge for 1+ hours.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the cheeks off each Calypso® mango, then cut into slices, about 5mm thick. Cut any extra flesh off from around the seed, and discard the seed and skin.
- Place the sliced Calypso® mango flesh into a bowl and very gently combine with all of the other filling ingredients, except the almond meal, in a bowl and set aside. Using clean hands, very gently move everything around to coat the Calypso® mango, but not damage it.
- After 1 hour, remove dough from the fridge. You will need to work quickly here, so get your self prepared. Place dough between 2 sheets of baking paper, and carefully roll out to a large circle. You want the dough to be around 5-7mm in thickness and even all over, preferably with no cracks as they will split during baking. Remove the top sheet of baking paper, and place the dough (still on the bottom piece of baking paper) on a baking tray.
- Spread almond meal over the dough, leaving a 5cm boarder (this will be rolled over in to a crust) and layer on the Calypso® mango filling on top, arranging in whichever pattern you prefer. Ensure there is a 5 cm gap around the boarder, and if you have any extra filling, set it aside.
- Fold up the sides of the galette. The dough will be a little bit sticky, so use a small, sharp knife to peel the edge away from the baking paper. After you have folded over the first edge, rotate the galette, do another fold, and continue until you’re back to where you started. Once the crust has been completely formed, you can add any extra filling on top, being careful to not pile it too high. Brush the top crust in extra melted butter, olive oil or milk then sprinkle with raw sugar (optional).
- Place the galette on the baking tray back in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes (don’t skip this step) then preheat the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 200C then add the Calypso® galette to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn down to 175 C, then bake a further 30-35 mins. Serve immediately with ice-cream, or allow to cool and cut into slices.
Tip: The choice of butter here is very important. A margarine will not work- you want to use a hard, stick vegan butter.
Recipe by Jade @PANACEASPANTRY