Baked Pomegranate and Chicken Paella
- 2 Pomegranates
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads, pinch
- 70 ml olive oil
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 100 grams chorizo sausages, sliced
- 2 cups paella or arborio rice
- 750 ml chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup black olives
- 1 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- Soak saffron in 100ml warm water. Set aside.
- Scoop pomegranate arils and juice into a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a paella pan or cast iron fry pan. Add chicken and season with salt and pepper. Add chorizo and onion and cook until chicken is browned slightly.
- Add garlic and rice and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add stock, tomatoes, saffron water and threads and cover loosely with foil. Bake at 170°C, stirring occasionally till liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked, about 35 minutes. Add olives and peas and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve at the table in the pan it was cooked in. Sprinkle with pomegranate arils and juice just prior to serving.