CONFIT TOMATOES, SMASHED AVOCADO & RICOTTA ON CHARGRILLED FLATBREAD
- 6 slices flat bread
- 2 avocadoes, roughly smashed
- 200g fresh ricotta
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 tbs hot chilli sauce
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 2 litres extra virgin olive oil
- Olive oil cooking spray
confit heirloom tomatoes
- 18 (about 1.5kg) heirloom tomatoes
- 8 garlic cloves, halved
- For the confit tomatoes; Preheat oven 120°C fan forced. Wash and dry the tomatoes. Arrange in a baking dish so they fit in a single layer. Top with garlic and thyme. Season. Pour enough olive oil over to completely cover the tomatoes. Cook slowly for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the oil. Once cool carefully spoon the tomatoes onto a tray.
- Spray both sides of the flat bread with oil, chargrill 3-4 minutes either side. While warm, top with smashed avocado. Crumble over the ricotta then top with confit tomatoes, pressing down lightly with a fork to release juices. Scatter over coriander and season.
- Swirl the yoghurt and chilli sauce together and serve with flat breads.
Tip- The oil can and should be re-used for dressings, marinades and cooking. As it contains juices from the tomatoes, pour into a clean jar and keep in the fridge (it will go cloudy but will become clear again at room temperature). Use within 3 months.