Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with Cheesy Asparagus Toast
- 2 Grape Tomatoes
- 1 kg Truss Tomatoes
- 2 Baby Fennel
- 2 stalks Celery
- 1 Leek
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut in half, and blanched for 2 minutes in boiling water
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 300 ml carton cream
- 8 slices Italian bread loaf
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, shredded
- 20 grams Basil leaves,, to garnish (optional)
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper. On one, place cut truss tomatoes, on the other place grape tomatoes. Sprinkle garlic slices over tomatoes.
- Mix together olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Pour over tomatoes, gently mixing through marinade. Season well to taste.
- Bake rgw grape tomatoes for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat extra oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook leek, fennel and celery for 5 minutes, or until softened and slightly coloured.
- Add tomatoes and any juices, chicken stock, tomato paste and basil leaves. Bring to the boil, lower to simmer, cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then purée in blender until smooth. Add cream to soup and reheat before serving.
- To make asparagus toast, place slices of bread on tray and grill one side until golden brown and crispy.
- Turn over and top with asparagus spears, and cheese, grill for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.